Tennessee was approved by the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) in June 2015 to join the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA).
SARA is an initiative of states nationwide to make distance education courses more accessible to students across state lines. States that have joined SARA are shown on the map below and appear in dark blue.
The following institutions have been approved to offer distance education to students who reside in states that have joined SARA. Please note that licensed professions are not covered under the SARA agreement.
- Austin Peay State University
- Chattanooga State Community College
- Cleveland State Community College
- Columbia State Community College
- Dyersburg State Community College
- East Tennessee State University
- Middle Tennessee State University
- Motlow State Community College
- Nashville State Community College
- Northeast State Community College
- Pellissippi State Community College
- Roane State Community College
- Southwest Tennessee Community College
- Tennessee State University
- Tennessee Tech University
- University of Memphis
- Volunteer State Community College
- Walters State Community College
SARA and Licensed Professions
SARA has no impact on state professional licensing requirements. Any institution that offers courses or programs potentially leading to professional licensure (nursing, teaching, psychology, etc.) must keep all students informed as to whether such offerings actually meet state licensing requirements.
In some cases, the institution may not know whether a program meets state standards because the state will not provide sufficient information. In those cases, the student will need to contact the licensing board in their state of domicile to determine if the program meets licensure requirements.
What are your benefits as a student?
- Expands access to educational offerings
- Should lead to better resolution of complaints from students in SARA states
- Reduces rapidly growing institutional costs and makes distance education more affordable for students
- Should enhance overall quality of distance education